An example of rules and tips for the Over Haddon Village Show is listed below.
All entries will be accepted between 9:30 am and 11:30 on the day of the show. Entries will also be accepted on Friday evening between 6:00 and 7:30 pm.
- Any work shown must be the sole work of the exhibitor, or grown by the exhibitor.
- Any number of exhibits can be entered by the competitor.
- Only one prize will be awarded in any class in which there are three entries or less. If there are three entries or less the decision whether to give a 1st, 2nd or 3rd prize will be left to the judge.
- Auction at 4:00 pm; any item not collected by this time is liable to be sold.
- An entry fee will be charged for each exhibit: Adults 20p and children 10p.
- Children’s prizes will be first 40p, second 30p and third 20p.
The Joseph Oldfield Cup will be awarded to the Over Haddon resident with the most points in the show in sections A to E.
The Womens Institute Cup will be awarded to the Over Haddon resident with the most points in the show in sections B, D & E.
The Junior Cup will be awarded to the competitor gaining the most points in sections F, G, H, I & K (children).
A Special Prize will be awarded to the 10 & Under competitor with the most points in Sections F & H.
A Special Prize will be awarded to the 11 & Over competitor with the most points in Sections G & I.
There will be Special Prizes awarded to the competitor gaining the most first places in section A; Sections B & D combined; and Section K
A Special Prize will be awarded for the winning entry in Section J.
Donations of any extra baking for refreshments gratefully received
SECTION A: VEGETABLES AND FLOWERS
3 Onions – From Seed; Have roots on etc.
3 Onions – Set Dressed; Cleaned up. Tie top down with cotton, clean bottoms with sandpaper
5 Shallots; clean up, tie tops bent over with cotton, clean bottoms with sandpaper. Place them on a plate covered with sand neatly set out. Try to choose shallots of even shape
SECTION B: PRESERVES AND COOKING
3 eggs; (Not 4), 1 cracked into a saucer
Marmalade; Jam/Jelly; Lemon Curd; the rules on lids have been relaxed as long as the seal is hygienic and prevents bacteria.
Victoria sponge; Should only have icing sugar sprinkled on top and be filled with raspberry jam.