Over Haddon Village Hall is situated in the stunning Peak District village of Over Haddon, overlooking Lathkill Dale – an area of outstanding, natural beauty which has been designated as a National Nature Reserve.
The venue was completely rebuilt and reopened in April 2011 and is equipped to a high specification, with a number of eco-friendly facilities. It can hold up to 100 people, depending on the type of event being held. The hall comprises a main function room, with PA and lighting system and portable staging available; a fully-equipped kitchen; separate meeting room and toilets – with full disabled access and baby-changing facilities.
Parking spaces are available outside the village hall, including disabled spaces, but there is a limited number. There is also a larger car park in Over Haddon which is about five to 10 minutes’ walk from the village hall. This is run by the Derbyshire Dales District Council and charges do apply. For more information about parking, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. However, as per our environmental policy, we would encourage all our visitors to find alternative ways to travel to the village hall which are more environmentally friendly.
In the past, the hall has been hired for a variety of purposes – including children’s birthday parties, special birthday and anniversary celebrations, business meetings and seminars and fitness classes such as yoga and Pilates. The village hall management committee also regularly organises a range of community events.
The history of the village hall
The original village hall was built in 1957 and served the community well. However. changing demands, expectations and legislation, plus increasing maintenance and running costs, took their toll. As a result, the village hall has been replaced by an up-to-date and improved version. The design of the new building reflects the look of the original, whilst providing an upgraded, dual-purpose facility.
In obtaining the bulk of the redevelopment funding from BIG Lottery, the Management Committee are covenanted to ensure that the hall continues to be used as a “community building” for at least the next 25 years. This will ensure that the parish of Over Haddon will have a facility to serve its inhabitants into the future.
The village hall’s governing document
Over Haddon Village Hall is held in trust under a Deed of Gift dated 8th July 1949 from the then Marquess of Lothian. The trust deeds states that the hall should be used “…..for the purposes of physical and mental training and recreation and social moral and intellectual development through the medium of reading and recreation rooms library lectures classes recreations and entertainments or otherwise as may be found expedient for the benefit of the inhabitants of the Parish of Over Haddon in the County of Derby and its immediate vicinity without distinction of sex or of political religious or other opinions subject to the provisions of these presents…………”
You can follow the latest updates from Over Haddon Village Hall on our Facebook page.